our natural fiber fabrics and their care
At Goddess Gear we are head over heels in love with natural fiber textiles! See below for information on the fabrics we use and a bit of what enchants us about each one, along with some environmental considerations important to us, and notes on garment care:
- Linen – Linen is a wonderful thing, and yes it IS in its nature to wrinkle! Our reaction to this fact is to embrace it. Wash it, dry it, and wear it! Over and over again, it only gets softer and lovelier with use. That charming natural texture and character is what we love about it most. And yes, if you feel you must, it may be ironed. The flax plant from which linen is produced has been used for millennia for fabric production, has modest water requirements and is naturally pest resistant. As with our other natural fibers, linen is compost-able once a garment has reached the end of its lifespan.
- Hemp - Hemp has many of the same characteristics as linen, but with superhuman strength. Blended with other fibers or on its own, it is elegant, chic, and tough as nails, although much softer. Its environmental assets include a low water requirement and natural pest resistance negating the need for pesticides. It is also a beneficial rotation crop, returning nutrients to the soil depleted by other crops. Like linen, it breaks in rather than down, gaining character with each wash and wear.
- Bamboo - The silky texture and hand of textiles produced from bamboo are soft as a cloud, with a lovely drape. The addition of cotton in our blends lends strength and reduces cling. The processing of bamboo fiber to become yarn is not yet environmentally sensitive, (that is beginning to change) but the bamboo plant itself has many sustainable characteristics such as a rapid growth habit and low water needs that make it an ecologically attractive alternative.
- Cotton – In a perfect world all the cotton we use would be organic. At this time we use both conventional and organic cotton and are committed to converting to 100% organic as soon as we are able. Cotton is a wondrous, comfortable fiber; on its own and blended with others, it simply can’t be beat!
- Our dyes – Our fabrics are dyed with low impact fiber reactive dyes. During the dye process the dye molecule bonds with the textile, so there is no need for chemical fixants to obtain clear vibrant colors that last and last.
- Garment care - Every product we make is intended to be worn and enjoyed without worry. All of our clothing is pre-shunk and may be machine washed, and most machine dried. Chlorine bleach is not recommended as it weakens the fabric, but soaking any stains in a mild dish detergent before laundering works wonders. Specific care instructions are listed in each garment's description here on our website and on the label inside the garment.